Braised octopus with honey and saffron
INGREDIENTS for 4 people
- 1.5 kg octopus, fresh or frozen
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can 400gr chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 pinch of saffron threads
- 1 glass red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, pepper, olive oil
- Wash the octopus well, remove the eyes, cut out the beak ,and clean the head. It is best to freeze the octopus a couple of days before to tenderize it. If you use frozen, let it thaw in the fridge before use.
- Put the octopus in a deep pan with a little water and the bay leaf and let it simmer for about 20 minutes until it turns red. If you are serving it with pasta, better cut it into smaller pieces.
- Pour the wine into the pot and simmer for another hour, or until the octopus is tender. Do not add any salt at this stage as the octopus is naturally salty.
- In the meantime prepare the sauce. Soak the saffron thread in 2 tbsp hot water for a bout 10 minutes. Sauté the onions in 4 tbsp of olive oil and when they are transparent add the tomato paste and the garlic.
- Swirl a few times to dilute the paste, add the chopped tomatoes and honey and simmer for about 10 minutes until there is little fluid left.
- About 10 minutes before the octopus is done add the saffron to the sauce and pour the sauce in the pot with the octopus. Continue cooking for another 10 minutes so that the flavours come together. Taste and correct the seasoning.
- Enjoy the octopus with some small-shaped pasta or on its own as a “meze”.
Recipe taken from here.